Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cubism and Fashion

I'm going to a weeding this weekend and am SO excited to wear a new dress that I bought recently. I had been fawning over it for a while and thankfully had the patience to wait because it eventually went on sale!

Dress: CLASSIQUE
I haven't seen a dress like this before, (save maybe an ice-skater's costume but then it is usually be-dazzled to the extreme) and I found myself more and more drawn to the dress as I kept going online and looking at it.

Suddenly I realized why I loved it so much: not just because of the vibrant colors and fun shape, but the pattern is similar to some of my favorite and most well-known Cubist paintings!

Whether the designer was inspired by these artists or not, looking at these paintings I see many similarities with the bold, dark lines, geometric patterns and shapes. Even the top of the dress with the angular hem and tiered waist form bold, solid lines.

Although the dress isn't (or doesn't seem to be) a full pattern that has been deconstructed like a Cubist painting, similar design principles apply and I love the visual effect. I like to think I will be wearing a little piece of art this weekend, even if I'm the only one who makes the connection!

Georges Braque, French
1911-1912
Oil on canvas

Kazimir Malevich
1913
Oil on canvas

Pablo Picasso
1911-12
Oil on canvas

Georges Braque
1908
Oil on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment