Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Building Blocks of Color



                                         Untitled                                                                                            Elie Tahari
                                         c. 1950-1952                                                                                 Spring 2012 Ready To Wear

A fashion trend that has been picking up speed, and which I personally love when done right, is color blocking. Pairing pieces of two different colors (or to really challenge yourself, using different shades of the same color) can be an art in itself. It takes just the right colors, cuts and accessories to make it work and looking over images from NY Fashion Week, I saw it done right all over the place. From numerous runway collections to some of my favorite bloggers, this style has hit hard in all sorts of colors, and I got to thinking about art…


Spring 2012 Ready To Wear

I knew the color blocking style resonated in me for some reason and not just because I think it looks great, but there was an artistic inclination pulling at me, and I had to figure out where I had seen this before. It dawned on me that this trend of color blocking is a real-life form of abstract art and my mind then immediately clicked to Mark Rothko.


Although not labeling himself as an abstract expressionist, Mark Rothko found his place in the art world in New York among other Modern artists in the early 20th century. Although his work continued to evolve and developed overtime, (he was also well noted for his Surreal art), Rothko finally found his niche after releasing himself from the constraints of form, symbol and formal titles.



Spring 2010 Ready To Wear

        Spring 2012 Ready To Wear


Rothko began his mature work, called “multiform” paintings in 1946 and continued with them until his death in 1970. These pieces he felt were more organic, self contained and far surpassed figurative painting in expression and meaning, as they “possessed their own life force”. Although the underlying influences, feelings and experiences behind his pieces have nothing to do with fashion, a direct correlation between Mark Rothko’s color blocking can be made to the runway and streets of today. 

Due to the nature of labeling and copyrighting of Mark Rothko's 
works I was unable to label each piece. With continued research
and your feedback I hope to attribute titleshipto each work. 
Until then, enjoy for your viewing pleasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment